Thursday, March 15, 2012

GIDDY giddy giddy giddy giddy giddy giddy giddy!

I ran last night!  Okay, it was on the treadmill and no more than 15:00 in duration, but I did some runnnning!  Five minute walk, 5:00 run, 5:00 walk, 10:00 run, 5:00 walk, 15:00 run, etc. until I hit 5.0 miles (but I'm a SIPHES so....) I ended up walking/running for 60:00+ and managed a measly 5.5 miles.  Ironically, the higher the knees, the easier the run.  Dang, my track coach was right all those years ago... huh.

So that was what 18 days after the initial 'injury'?  Not bad, but now the real test for me - stay calm and run smart at this Saturday's 5 mile Beer Run race.  The hamstrings aren't going to roll over and just take this increased work load.  Lots of trigger point therapy and other PT scheduled between now and then.  This foam roller of mine is easily one of my top 5 tools that I refuse to live without (http://tptherapy.com/).  Shoot, I actually bring it with me to work, the gym, it is literally wherever I am these days.

"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts." ~ Richard Bach

Interesting quote (I'm a quoteaholic, yes), and at such an interesting time too.  I have learned a lot - some things never change (I'm persistent), some things you learn 'again' (patience little one, patience), and some things you figure out for the first time (eureka!).  Such as the tightened thigh muscles causing the hips to rotate outwards, the foot stance to under pronate, and the back to appear to be the source of the problem - when actually it's all because of the inner legs!  My educational training is in the world of molecular and cellular toxicology, with physiology on the side as a fascination of sorts.  However, now, it's front and center and I feel this set back has been a gift in disguise.

Realtors may say it's all about location, location and location.  This runner thinks it's all about stretches, stretching, and streeeeetching.

As one of my running role models says: "Time is not linear, it moves in circles.  Time is seasonal." (~ Amby Burfoot).  So we learn about ourselves, we have set backs, and yes, we will blossom yet again.

Giddy and excited to be progressing again - just gonna keep on running 'till He calls me home!

Ta,
-am3er

No comments:

Post a Comment