Monday, April 2, 2012

I am a rain runner, or perhaps I just like challenging environments.  That sounds like a theory that is likely to be tested with fervor in the near future...

I'm happy to report that not only was I able to run on Saturday for the Human Race 5K (our team raised $540 USD for our charity, go team!), but that I also did not stop!  I even had a better pace than just 2 short weeks ago!  Grant it, I'm not at the pace I want for my April through June 'races'... that just simply means my goals are outlined that much more clearly and there is room to improve.

'Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.' ~ William Channing

...which is also why I went out for a training run yesterday - I felt this urge to test myself.  It's been way too long since I've run two days back to back.  Very disheartening for a runner's spirit.  So I said to heck with the laundry and housework, it can wait!  Hey, happy wife - happy life, and I didn't get any resistance on this choice.  The pace is staying steady, and I want to shave a good 10-20 seconds off each mile (this will be challenging with the pesky piriformis syndromie thingie).  BUT.  Yes, a big BUT - I went for a run and there were a good 3 instances during the run that I felt my zone come back.  They were fleeting, no more than a minute each time, but the frequency was up and that gave me the much needed encouragement I need right now.  Okay, so out of the 1:00:05 duration, that's not much, but when you have been missing that feeling, every little bit is like an ounce of gold.  Rocks to gold; heat/stress to refine/test.

The zone?  For me, it's that realization that the hips are aligned and happy, the cadence is close to perfect, the shoulders are back, down and relaxed, the breathing is calm, and you feel like you could run forever.  It is an awesome feeling, it's not the enkephalin-induce nirvana state, it's a state of empowerment, you sense that you are in control - but you know you are not - and you're okay with this higher power.

Am I pain free?  Sadly no, the right leg was tingling and I found myself automatically kneading the right glute (yes, while I was running...).  I didn't hesitate to stretch when I finished - and the heating blanket came out of storage last night too.  Although, I'm 2 days without any NSAIDs and I'm personally ecstatic with that progress.

Right, off to foam roll, stretch and do some paycheck-earning work.  Tonight, another test, tomorrow, another.  I will keep testing my limits, because to me that is how I learn about myself and life (and what I should be doing with it).  Doubt?  Oh, she's still there and giving me the Cheshire cat of a smile - but I smile back with a maniacal chuckle.  She looks a bit concerned at the moment.  It's game time sister, and I don't like to lose.

Just keep working at it my friends - if it was easy, it wouldn't be called a workout but rather an easy out.  Give your pride something to shout about.  Make today count!

Dominate YOUR Journey,
-am3er

No comments:

Post a Comment